he Żywiec castle was built by the Skrzyński family of the Łabędź coat of arms around the middle of the fifteenth century. On the right bank of the Soła River, in today's western part of the town, a Gothic knight's seat was then established. Then Kazimierz Jagiellończyk gave the castle to Piotr Komorowski, who expanded the castle giving it the form of a Renaissance residence. The castle remained in the hands of the Komorowski family until 1697, when it became the property of Queen Constance as a payment of
photo by ZeroJeden, VI 2006
the debts of the starost Mikołaj. After her, the castle was taken over by Jan Wielopolski, the Grand Chancellor of the Crown and a relative of the Komorowski family. In 1838, it changed owners again, it was taken over by the Habsburgs. After World War II, conservation works began. During their conduct, it was determined that fragments of the Gothic fortress have been partially preserved - m.in. two towers and the wall connecting them. In the northern wing of the castle, the walls of the former residential tower were also discovered, with preserved embrasures adapted for firearms. On the site of the eastern halfof the tower, a high tower on a square plan was built in the seventeenth century. The castle courtyard is surrounded by three-storey buildings with beautiful cloisters.