Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Uraz

 (Uraz • Auras) 

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


t he castellan stronghold existed in Uraz as early as the 13th century. Shortly after 1319, when it belonged to Andreas Radak, a brick castle was erected in its place, with an equilateral triangle plan with slightly bent sides. Originally, the building had two floors, on both of which there was one room with a rib vault supported by a central pillar. The castle was surrounded by a moat preserved in larger fragments to this day.
In 1344, the castle was the seat of burgrave Hancko von Auras, and in the years 1428-1443 it belonged to the Czirn family. In 1466, as a result of the grant of the King of Bohemia, the castle became the property of the knights Christoph von Skopp. Probably in his time the castle was expanded, the main building was raised by two floors. It is possible 
Zamek w Urazie
Kurt Bimler, Die Schlesischen massiven Wehrbauten, 1942 [Source]
that during this reconstruction a new building was erected to the south-east of the castle, and between it and the existing one a courtyard was created, closed by two sections of the curtain wall.
In the mid-sixteenth century and in 1630, reconstructions were made, during one of them an additional bay with two towers in the corners was added to the Gothic building. The entire complex was given Baroque features.
In 1810, the south-eastern part from the 15th century and the perimeter walls were demolished. During the nineteenth century, the castle was thoroughly rebuilt in the neo-Gothic style, blurring all the earlier elements of the building's décor. During this reconstruction, one of the corner towers was also removed.
In the interwar period, the castle was already neglected, and at the end of World War II it burned down. The remains of the walls were secured as a permanent ruin.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.