he castle was erected in 1338 by Ludek von Wedel, but earlier in Tuczno, although perhaps in a different place, there was probably a brick defensive seat of the castellan of Greater Poland. The seat of Greater Poland was captured in 1296 by Hasso von Wedel.
The Gothic castle of Ludwig von Wedel had a quadrilateral plan, the courtyard was surrounded on three sides by a perimeter wall up to 7 meters high, and from the east there was a residential wing measuring 35x15 meters. The entrance to the
Zdjęcie lotnicze, fot. ZeroJeden, VI 2025
castle was in the northern section of the walls. In the Middle Ages, the castle was one of the strongest strongholds in Western Pomerania.
In the fifteenth century, the first expansion of the complex took place - a new building was built at the western section of the defensive walls. The new wing was not large, it had a rectangular plan with dimensions of 8x11 meters, it had a basement. In the years 1542-1581, Stanisław Wedel-Tuczyński rebuilt the Gothic stronghold into a Renaissance residence, then the medieval eastern wing was demolished, and on its foundations and cellars, a building with corner towers was erected. The façades were decorated with sgraffito decorations, which exist to this day, partly preserved and partly reconstructed.
In the years 1608-1631, Krzysztof Wedel-Tuczyński expanded the castle by another two wings - southern and western, and in the north-west corner he erected a third tower.
Subsequent reconstructions in the seventeenth century give the residence baroque features, the castle then ceased to fulfill defensive functions
photo by ZeroJeden, IV 2005
because the last northern section of the wall was demolished. A small reconstruction was made by the Wedel-Tuczyński family in the first years of the 18th century, when the representative façade of the southern wing with the main entrance to the castle was rebuilt, which was decorated with an avant-corps and a decorative portal.
In 1717, the last representative of the Tuczyn line of the Wedels, Andrzej, died. The castle, neglected by subsequent owners, slowly deteriorated. In 1736 it was already devastated, but it was still used in the second half of the eighteenth century. After the partition of Polish in 1772, Tuczno found itself within the borders of Prussia. In 1846, the castle was renovated. The west wing was demolished and erected on older foundations from scratch, the other wings were restored with minor changes. The north-western tower gained one more storey. However, by the end of the nineteenth century, the castle managed to deteriorate again. In 1903, the mayor of Tuczno wrote to the authorities about the need to secure the unused castle
photo by ZeroJeden, IV 2005
buildings. The castle was partially adapted for hospital purposes.
During World War II, shelters were located under the castle hill, which were blown up at the end of the war, and the castle was also damaged. Still partially used after the war, the castle was affected by a fire in 1947, which completely destroyed the buildings.
From 1957, work on the reconstruction of the castle was underway. Initially, the debris was cleared and the remains secured, and in the years 1966-1976 the eighteenth-century appearance was completely reconstructed. To this day, the castle is a holiday and hotel resort. In 2002, the director was a very nice and open man :)