Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Stara Kamienica

 (Stara Kamienica • Alt Kemnitz • Alt Kämnitz) 

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo

Names similar to Stara Kamienica • Alt Kämnitz • Alt Kemnitz:    Alt Lomnitz ·


t he hillfort in Stara Kamienica probably existed in the 10th-11th centuries, while the first mention of it comes from 1242. In the first half of the thirteenth century, it was erected by the Scoff family for Henry the Pious. The aforementioned document from 1242 says that the castle was handed over by Bolesław Rogatka to the knight Sciboto Scoff, from whom the Schaffgotsch family descended. The mention comes from a forgery, which, however, does not affect the credibility of the very fact of handing over the castle. Before the handover, the castle was renovated and expanded.
Another expansion was made by the owners in the fourteenth century, but soon after the castle was destroyed during the Hussite wars.
After 1560, the Schaffgotsch family rebuilt the medieval castle into a Renaissance residence. When the owner of the Old Tenement House was Hans Ulrich von Schaffgotsch, the fire of August 20, 1616 consumed the entire complex, but the castle was quickly rebuilt by Johann Ulrich Schaffgotsch.
The castle suffered significantly during the Swedish wars. First, it became the headquarters of the Swedish general Stahlhaus in 1640, then it was recaptured by German troops. In 1641, the German Emperor Ferdinand III beheaded Johann Ulrich, who was unjustly suspected of treason, and sold the Old Tenement House confiscated to the Schaffgotschs to the Hungarian Count 
Zamek w Starej Kamienicy
Aerial photo, photo by ZeroJeden, III 2022
Nicholas.
In 1680, the estate was bought by Count Zierotin of Moravia. Further damage was suffered by the building during the flood of July 14, 1702. The castle was still inhabited, its last user was a merchant from Jelenia Góra Schmidt, who died in 1757. The following year, a fire broke out in the Old Tenement House, which also consumed the castle buildings. Since then, the unused castle fell into complete ruin.
To this day, the walls of the four-sided tower, buried cellars, and sixteenth- and seventeenth-century farm buildings on the site of the former State Agricultural Farm have been preserved.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.