here are hypotheses that the first defensive structure on Chojnik Mountain was the stronghold of the Bobrzan tribe. Certainly, in the second half of the thirteenth century, Bolesław Łysy-Rogatka erected a hunting manor with defensive features, which at the end of the thirteenth century was expanded by Bolko I the Strict.
When Bolko II came to power in the Duchy of Świdnica-Jawor, he created a powerful power, which he strengthened with many castles during his reign. During his time, probably
Chojnik Castle on a postcard from the interwar period
around 1355, the castle on Chojnik was also erected, replacing the earlier manor house. On a rocky peak descending from the south with a vertical wall, a stone fortress was built, although small in size, extremely difficult to conquer due to its location. The western part of the irregular quadrangle of the complex was occupied by a residential building, and the eastern part - a huge round tower. The small courtyard from the north and south was defended by strong walls. The whole was built of stone.
After the death of Bolko II his widow Duchess Agnieszka gave the castle in 1392 to the later progenitor of the powerful Silesian family - Gotsche Schoff. The castle remained in the hands of the Schaffgotsch family until the end of its existence, with a short break. Gotsche Schoff enriched the existing buildings in 1405 with the chapel of St. St. George and St. Katarzyna, which he placed above the entrance gate in the bay window made of red sandstone (recently partially rebuilt). During the Hussite Wars the Schaffgotschs,
Chojnik Castle in 1820, Friedrich August Tittel, '18 colorierte Ansichten aus dem Riesengebirge : darau eins der Kynast von Carl Gottardt Schaffgotsch coloriert'
having support in this inaccessible fortress, plundered merchants and the local population following the trade route.
In the fifteenth century, the stronghold was strongly expanded. On the north-eastern side, a vast lower castle of an irregular shape was built, which was mainly occupied by utility rooms. At the southern wall there was a kitchen, further to the east the apartments of the castle crew, at the north-eastern wall a cellar and then a courtroom. In the middle of the courtyard of the lower castle, a stone pillory was erected. The castle never had a well, and water was collected in rock cisterns, first in the upper castle, then another one was in the lower castle.
In the first half of the 16th century, another expansion was made. At that time, a third courtyard surrounded by walls was created, adjacent to the western wall of the lower castle. The northern part of the new area was occupied by the apartment of the commander of the castle, stables were also built in the new courtyard, and in the northern corner there was a tower with a hunger dungeon. In the new part, there is another water tanker. Probably during this expansion, all castle walls were
Castle on a postcard from 1903
crowned with a Renaissance attic in the shape of a semicircle. In 1560, a spacious bastion was added on the north side of the entire complex.
The Thirty Years' War caused that the castle was fortified from the side of the easiest access with fortifications and an additional entrance gate. When in 1634 Jan Ulrich von Schaffgotsch was beheaded, the castle was confiscated by the emperor, but in 1649 it was returned to the previous owners. They did not move their permanent headquarters here.
When on August 31, 1675, the castle burned down from a lightning strike, the reconstruction was not undertaken. The abandoned stronghold fell into disrepair. In 1822, a hostel was established here, eagerly visited by tourists-patients, which operates to this day.
Legend has it that Princess Kunegunda, the daughter of the owner of the castle, lived here. Her whim was for a candidate for a husband to ride around the castle walls on horseback in full armor. For a long time, no one managed to do it, and more and more daredevils died falling into the abyss. One day, a knight from Krakow came to the castle and performed this breakneck feat, but when the enchanted princess offered him her hand - he rejected her efforts and rode away. Humiliated and unwanted maiden, she threw herself into the abyss from the walls from which the daredevils sent by her to death fell. To this day, you can still see the ghost of one of the knights, who rides around the castle walls on moonlit nights.