he castle was built in this place, on the Narew River, already in the fourteenth century, but the current appearance is completely different from the original. The first Gothic castle was erected by bishops of Płock in the place of a wooden stronghold after it was burned down by the Lithuanians. In the first half of the 16th century, it was rebuilt by bishop S. Krzycki and P. Myszkowski. During this reconstruction, it was given the Renaissance style.
In the 17th century and at the beginning of the 18th century, it was destroyed by the Swedes. It lost its original appearance during the next reconstruction, in the 16th century, made by bishop K.H. Szembek. In 1945 it burned down, and after the war it was rebuilt.
From the castle, a baroque chapel, a bridge and an underground have survived.
Aerial photo, photo by ZeroJeden, VI 2020
Currently, these rooms house the House of the Polish Diaspora.