Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Poznań

  

Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


p oznań was founded in 1253, when the seat of the princes was still located on Ostrów Tumski, west of the city. In the years 1274-1288 Przemysł II erected a new castle adjacent to the town walls in the western part of the town. Initially, the castle consisted of perimeter walls with an irregular seven-sided plan and a four-sided tower added to the outer face of the walls in their western corner. The remaining buildings in the courtyard were wooden. After the death of Przemysław II in 1296, during the reign of Wenceslaus II, a rectangular tower with residential and defensive functions was added to the north-eastern section of the wall, the shorter side of which was the perimeter wall. This tower had three rooms on each floor.
In the times of Casimir the Great, a large residential building measuring about 18x58 meters was erected at the longest, north-western section of the walls. In 1341, the king married Adelaide here, later also eagerly used the castle by subsequent Polish rulers for important celebrations, from which it can be concluded that it was distinguished by its rich décor.
The fourteenth and fifteenth centuries were a period of splendor for the castle, then worse times came. In 1536, during the fire of the town, the castle buildings also burned down, but by 1565 it was rebuilt by Andrzej Górka. In 1574, the castle was visited by Henry 
Zamek w Poznaniu
photo by ZeroJeden, IV 2005
of Valois on his way to the coronation in Kraków.
During the Swedish Deluge, the stronghold was damaged, later in 1704 again during the war with the Swedes it was garrisoned by the invading army and destroyed by battles with Muscovite and Saxon troops. It completely lost its significance after subsequent destructions during the Northern War and Augustus II, staying in Poznań, had to stay in the bishop's palace.
The reconstruction was carried out in 1783 by Krzysztof Raczyński, but without defensive features, and the building housed the seat of the court. In 1883, the court moved to a new seat, and the castle was changed into an archive. During World War II, the buildings were destroyed again. After the reconstruction, the castle still houses the Museum of Applied Arts.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.