he first stronghold in Pakość existed already in 1259, but it was located in a different place than the later castle. From 1325, the estate was owned by the Leszczyc family, who erected the first brick stronghold here. Researchers define the construction period differently. Czesław Sikorski, who carried out research in the monastery during the renovation in the years 1985-1987, estimates that the castle was built in the third decade of the fourteenth century, and it was erected by the starost
The castle in the aerial photo, photo by ZeroJeden, IV 2023
of Bydgoszcz, Bogumił Leszczyc. Leszek Kajzer, however, believes that the castle was built a little later. Originally, the brick perimeter walls on a square plan included entirely wooden internal buildings.
The first expansion was made before the end of the fourteenth century, when brick wings were erected at the southern and eastern walls. In the first half of the fifteenth century, a gate tower protruding from the western wall was added. Its construction is attributed to Thomas of Kościelec. During the next expansion, in the second half of the fifteenth century, the west wing was added, and in the sixteenth century, a palace was added to the outer wall of the northern wall.
In 1610, the owners of the Pakoskie estate became the Działyński family, who from 1628 began to establish a <>calvary here. In 1631, the castle was turned into a monastery of the Reformers by Michał, Paweł and Kasper Działyński. The reconstruction was carried out in stages, and was completed in 1680, when the palace from the 16th century was demolished. Another reconstruction was
The castle in the aerial photo, photo by ZeroJeden, IV 2023
carried out in connection with the renovation carried out in the years 1755-1769.
When the land fell into the hands of the Prussians, the authorities dissolved the property of the Order, the building passed into the hands of the Order again in the seventies of the twentieth century, this time - the Franciscans. In the years 1985-1987, they carried out a renovation, which Czesław Sikorski used to carry out the aforementioned archaeological research. Unfortunately, when renovating the castle, its historic values were not taken care of and most of the gothic walls and layers from subsequent reconstructions were destroyed.
The best preserved remnant of the medieval castle is the gate tower - currently a church chapel.