Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Medyka

  

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


t he castle in Medyka is mentioned for the first time in 1405 in a document issued during the visit of Władysław Jagiełło. Then the king was here in 1407 and in 1412 he received envoys of Sigismund of Luxembourg. Later he stayed here in 1423, 1425, 1427 and for the last time in 1434, when he went to Halicz to receive homage from Stefan Multanski. Not much can be said about the founder of the first wooden residence in this place, it is associated with the castellan of Przemyśl, Mikołaj Kmita. It was located on an island and had fortifications. The brick castle, on the other hand, was most likely erected by Piotr Kmita, the Grand Marshal of the Crown, before 1542. From that year comes a mention in which the military equipment in the castle is mentioned: lances, shields, bombards, rifles, hook guns, powder, bullets, stones. The fortified complex on the island became the administrative center of the starost's estate. In 1663, an inspection was carried out, which showed that the building was not in the best condition and required restoration. This document also mentions four towers (probably wooden) located on the shore of the island. The lack of later mentions of the castle testifies to its decline and ruin. It is also known that in the seventeenth century, Samuel Trojecki, a tenant of Medyka, besieged by peasants, took refuge in the castle.
After the First Partition of Poland, the Medyka estate was purchased in 1772 by Antonii and Zofia Lubomirski, who erected a palace on the island and established 
Zamek w Medyce
Medyka Castle in a photo from 1938
one of the first landscape gardens in Poland.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.