Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Jeziorany

 (Jeziorany • Seeburg) 

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


r uins of the castle of bishops of Warmia in the bend of Symsarna. The castle was probably built shortly after the settlement was founded, access to them was hindered by two lakes - Krakowskie and Ławki - which no longer exist. Built in the Gothic style by Bishop Jan I of Meissen and Jan Stypuck on a quadrilateral plan with a tower and a courtyard. The time of erection of the building is evidenced by the first mention of it in the document granting Jeziorany city rights. The castle was erected between 1350 and 1400, when in 1372 bishop Mikołaj Tungen came to take over the castle, the Polish crew burned the outer bailey and held out until the spring of 1474. The terrain conditions justify the location of the castle in the settlement - it is a promontory surrounded by the waters of the Symsarna 
Zamek w Jezioranach
Aerial view from the south, photo by ZeroJeden, IX 2012
River and surrounded by wetlands.
The complex consisted of the castle proper and the outer bailey located on the town side, which was destroyed in 1472. Originally, the castle was separated from the town by a moat, but it was one defensive complex with it. The castle was destroyed and ravaged during the Thirty Years' War and the Swedish invasion, later rebuilt. In 1783, it was destroyed by fire and then demolished by the Prussian administration.
The multi-leaf complex has not survived to our times. The only preserved west wing has a rectangular plan and has a basement. Originally, it probably had one storey, but in 1905 a second one was added. On the site of the southern wing, a one-storey building was built at the beginning of the 19th century. On the foundations of the outer bailey, also in the nineteenth century, new buildings were erected. In the eighteenth century, on the slopes of the hill, there were Italian bishop's gardens intersected by alleys, with a fountain in the middle.
In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, the castle housed the mayors 
Zamek w Jezioranach
Aerial view from the south-west, photo by ZeroJeden, IX 2012
of Warmia, they kept their residence in a very good condition. And even later the castle was cared for, which became the residence of bishops of Warmia. Bishops Wacław Leszczyński and Jan Stanisław Zbąski contributed in particular to the efforts to make the castle look as good as possible. Later, Teodor A. Potocki took care of the chapel.
After the first partition of Polish, the castle came into the possession of Prussia in 1772. Soon after, in 1783, it burned down along with part of the town. After the fire, three wings were demolished and only the western one was preserved, intended for the town hall. At the preserved wing there are also relics of a corner tower.
In the nineteenth century, new buildings were erected using the foundations and fragments of walls preserved from the former castle. The new buildings now house state offices.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.