Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Giżycko

 (Giżycko • Lec • Lötzen • Łuczany) 

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo

Names similar to Giżycko • Lec • Lötzen • Łuczany:    Leipe · Lesko · Leipe ·


b etween the lakes Niegocin and Mamry there is one wing of the Teutonic castle from before the mid-fourteenth century. A mention from 1340 about a prosecutor who was in office here proves that the castle was built a little earlier. The place in terms of defense was very well chosen, and the castle, together with the neighboring ones in Pisz, Węgorzewo, Ryn and Ełk constituted a chain of impenetrable fortifications, protecting the Teutonic state from the east. The castle, being the seat of 
Zamek w Giżycku
View from the south, photo by ZeroJeden, IV 2007
the prosecutor, belonged to the commandery of Pokarmin.
The building was destroyed many times and later rebuilt. Built of stone and brick, it has a rectangular plan, has four storeys and two-step buttresses at the corners. In 1560, late Renaissance gables were added to the roof. In 1969, during the construction of a nearby motel, clear traces of piling were discovered, which is rare when it comes to construction techniques in this area.
In 1361, the Lithuanian army under the command of Kęstutis burned the castle, which was rebuilt only around 1390. Most likely, the castle was a single-wing building with an outer bailey from the beginning. However, the functions of the outer bailey were not defensive, but rather economic. This can be inferred from the inventory from 1420. The cellar, brewery, armory, defensive floor and manor farm-outer bailey were mentioned in it.
During the Thirteen Years' War the castle was burned again, and it was rebuilt again with a delay, at the end of the 15th century. Later inventories also do not indicate the existence of more than one wing.
The secularization of Prussia 
Zamek w Giżycku
Aerial view from the north-west, photo by ZeroJeden, IX 2012
brought a new period in the history of the castle. It became the seat of the starost, and subsequent princes took care of the expansion and reconstruction of the outer bailey. In 1614, four low residential and utility wings were added. During this reconstruction, the entire castle gained a Renaissance form. A fire in 1749 destroyed the original building and one of the newer wings. This part of the castle at the turn of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries was handed over to the domain officials.
The destroyed parts were rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century. In the mid-nineteenth century, the castle with the nearby area was transformed into a defensive district, which was associated with its partial demolition. At the end of the nineteenth century, the castle became the residence of the commanders of the fortress.
During World War I, Hindenburg had its headquarters in the castle, whose troops used Giżycko as a base of operations. Since 1957, the castle has been used for tourist purposes. In the preserved wing there are late Renaissance 
Zamek w Giżycku
photo by ZeroJeden, VIII 2011
finials of the gable walls.








Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.