Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Frydman

  

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


t he first watchtower was built in the Hungarian village of Frydman, probably in the first half of the 14th century by the Berzewicz family. It was a residential tower with a square-shaped plan, its walls still exist in the basements of the later castle.
In 1589, the Niedzica estate, together with the village of Frydman, was bought from Olbracht Łaski by Jerzy Horwath (Gyorgi Horvath). At the end of the 16th century, he expanded the Niedzica castle, and then the Frydman watchtower, transforming it into a defensive castle. The same architect was probably employed to work on both structures.
Frydman remained the property of the Horwaths until 1857, later becoming the property of the Salamons. The castle was neglected at that time, and in 1881 it was already abandoned. In 1910, the ruined building was bought by the Noworolski family, who undertook renovations. Unfortunately, the castle lost its historic character. The Attic and the sunken roof were replaced with an ordinary, hipped roof. The building exists in this condition to this day. The building has two corner alcoves in the rear elevation. In the front elevation, there is a risalit with an entrance, which used to have a portal similar to the portal castle in Niedzica. On the front corners, there are obliquely placed oriels. The whole was surrounded by small ramparts and moats. 
Dwór we Frydmanie
Plan of the manor floor, Janusz Ostrowski, Jadwiga Tittenbrun, 1930
Before 1910, there were still farm buildings of the manor, but they were demolished.








Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.