Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Dukla

  

Legends
Extracts
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


s ettlement in Dukla dates back to the mid-fourteenth century. In 1380, the town belonging to the Grzymalite family was located. At the beginning of the 16th century, Dukla passed into the hands of Stanisław Cikowski, and in 1540 - Jan Jordan of Zakliczyn. Probably in this period, a brick castle complex was built. It was a one-storey building with dimensions of about 16x24.3 meters with a passage hall from the west.
Later, Dukla was still in the possession of the Zborowski, Drohojewski and Męciński 
Zamek w Dukli
View from the south of the building in the place of the north-western bastion, photo by ZeroJeden, VI 2006
families. In the thirties of the seventeenth century, the then owner of Dukla, Franciszek Mniszech, rebuilt the 'old castle'. A second building measuring 7.5x8.3 meters was added on the west side and the whole was surrounded by bastion fortifications with a side of 72 meters. The complex received the character of a palazzo in fortezza.
Soon after this reconstruction, the castle suffered significantly in 1738 by fire. In the years 1764-1765, Jerzy Wandalin Mniszech renovated the damaged residence and transformed it into a late-Baroque palace. At that time, the seventeenth-century bastion fortifications were liquidated - two western bastions were rebuilt into outbuildings, the remaining curtain walls and bastions were demolished. The western part of the palace complex was expanded, so that the plan of the whole was given a square plan.
Currently, the palace houses the Historical Museum.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.