he first confirmed establishment on the Castle Hill was a Ruthenian stronghold, erected here in the first half of the 11th century. In 1181, Drohiczyn became the center of the independent Duchy of Drohiczyn, which at the turn of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries was in the hands of the Dukes of Mazovia. They expanded the stronghold, and in 1237 prince Konrad brought here the Dobrzyń Knights, who did not want to merge with the Teutonic Order. However, they had to leave soon after the lands fell under the rule of the Ruthenian prince Daniel. It was probably during his reign that the first brick elements were erected in the previously wooden stronghold.
At the end of the fourteenth century, Drohiczyn was again in the hands of the Dukes of Masovia, and from 1443 it lay within
View from the south-east, photo by ZeroJeden, XI 2006
the borders of Lithuania and then the Crown. From 1520 it was the capital of the Podlaskie Voivodeship, as a result of the partitions it found itself within the borders of Russia. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, there was a royal manor house on the Castle Hill, which housed a court. It was destroyed in the seventeenth century and, deprived of care, was completely destroyed. The work of destruction was gradually completed by the current of the Bug River, washing away the Castle Hill. At the end of the 17th century, there was a square building on the Castle Hill housing a jail and a prison, it was demolished in 1788. At the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, there was a remnant of an underground corridor here, currently the massif of the Castle Hill is only a small part of the mountain that once housed a stronghold and a castle.