Castles of Poland
Update2025-06-17

Castle in Chudów

  

Legends
blankTrip (You need to log in )blanktlo


u nfortunately, there are no known foundation documents related to the construction of Chudów Castle. Neither the founder nor the builder of this building is known by name. Experts believe that the building was most likely built in the 1530s, but it is not excluded that there was an earlier building in this place, which was then given a new Renaissance shape. The initiator of these activities is considered to be Jan Gierałtowski, who purchased the village of Chudów in 1537. After his death, the castle and the village were inherited by his son Wacław. In 1587, he left his entire estate to his wife Agnieszka née Rogojski. She passed it on to Wacław's son Jan II, called Hanusz. The Gierałtowskis ruled Chudów for over 100 years. They were among the richest people in Silesia at that time. After the death 
Zamek w Chudowie
photo by ZeroJeden, III 2005
of the last of the family - Wacław II, in 1622 Chudów passed into the hands of Count Joanna Prażma, from whom it was purchased by Jan Skal from Ligota Wielka.
In 1687, Chudów Castle is listed as the property of Baron Jerzy von Welczek, governor of the Opole-Racibórz duchy, the youngest son of Jan Wilczek, owner of huge estates in Pawłów, Ruda, Stare Gliwice, Łabędy, Gierałtowice, Racibórz, Pszów and Czechowice. The next owner was Jerzy Franciszek Holly (Holy). Later, the castle was probably ruled by Jadwiga Salomea Baroness Kotulińska. Through the marriage of her daughter Juliana Urszula, the castle passed into the hands of Count Wacław Oppersdorf.
The most distinguished owners of Chudów Castle included the von Foglar family. These barons are the first owners to show concern for the beauty of the castle, modernize it and restore its former glory and majesty. At that time, the castle was a venue for parties, balls, feasts and hunts. The first representative of the Foglar family was Mikołaj von Foglar, who rebuilt the castle in 1717, after which its interiors were said to surpass the best Silesian castles in terms of splendor. His heir was his son Jerzy Jarosław. In 1740, the last owner from this family was Karol Jarosław, who ruled the castle from 1740 to 1767. The next owners were: Karol Reder (ca. 1768), Baron Welczek (Maciej Wilczek) - 1772, Count August Detlew von Schlippenbach - 1794, Count Jan Kanty Bobrowski - 1806, Leopoldyna Blandowska née Woyrsch - 1825. As a result of frequent changes of owners, the castle fell into decline. In 1837, the then owner, Aleksander von Bally, rebuilt 
Zamek w Chudowie
View from the west, photo by ZeroJeden, VII 2003
it without taking into account the old style of the castle. He ordered the old parts of the walls to be demolished and ordered the new ones to be built of brick. He paid special attention to the renovation of the castle chapel, which was solemnly consecrated on his birthday - January 11, 1838. Von Bally also tried to improve the economic condition of the Chudów estate.
In 1848, the ruins of Chudów Castle found themselves within the boundaries of the estate of Karol Godula, one of the largest industrial magnates of Upper Silesia. Shortly afterwards, it became the property of Karol Godula's pupil Joanna Gryczik von Schomberg Godulla and her husband Hans Ulrich Gothard von Schaffgotsch. The castle burned down on New Year's Eve 1847 and has remained in ruins since then.
It is possible that the castle was built on the site of an older medieval stronghold surrounded by water.
The castle initially had a defensive character, as evidenced by the thick walls with embrasures and the moat surrounding it. It had a drawbridge leading to the second floor of the tower.
The castle in Chudów was built on a rectangular plan measuring approximately 21 x 24 m. In the middle of the complex there was a small courtyard. On the south-west side there is a quadrangular tower measuring approximately 8. 50 x 7. 50 m, protruding in front of the face of the perimeter wall. On the first floor there was a room for the guard. On the second floor there was a castle chapel. On the north-east side, a rectangular annex measuring approximately 7 x 10 m adjoined the castle.
In 1995, in order to protect the ruins of the castle complex 
Zamek w Chudowie
photo by ZeroJeden, IX 2002
in Chudów in the Gliwice district, the "Chudów Castle" Foundation was established. In May 1999, the Foundation became the owner of the ruins of the castle in Chudów together with the surrounding park and the castle granary building.





Show on map



Serwis wykorzystuje technologi? cookie w celu uprzyjemnienia u?ytkowania.